I love networking events. I love meeting new people. I love learning about their business and sometimes I can refer them to other businesses. It’s not about what they can do for me, but how can we boost each other’s businesses!
A few days ago I went to a great networking event and made a huge mistake.
I can’t believe this happened to me. I’m usually so careful about this.
My face went three shades red when I found out I only went to the event with four business cards and one old-style business card from a couple years ago that I no longer use.
I wanted to connect with people and exchange businesses and instead I had to put my big girl panties on and confess I didn’t have any more business cards. This was actually really tough for me as I believe bringing business cards to an event is a top priority.
So how did I go with not having enough business cards to meeting fabulous businesses?
- When the time came to exchange business cards, I apologized and explained I didn’t have any more cards. I had great eye contact and I was sincere with my apology.
- I gladly accepted their business card.
- When it was appropriate, I talked about my business the same as if I had my business card with me. We are there to network and get to know each other business and build relationships.
- I followed up with everyone I met. My preferred method of following up is using LinkedIn. Not only did I send them an invitation to connect online, I make sure I delete the default LinkedIn invite message and personalize it to the individual I am sending it to.
- As soon as I arrived back to my office, I added a new stack of business cards in my purse. I have a great little side pocket that holds the cards and keep them from being dumped at the bottom of my purse.
Let me know your thoughts on this. Can you relate or have you had other awkward moments at a networking event before?